The first intensive care unit (ICU) in Malaysia was established in 1968. Since then, intensive care has developed rapidly and ICUs are now available in all tertiary care hospitals and selected secondary care hospitals in the Ministry of Health.
The National Audit on Adult Intensive Care Units (NAICU) was established in 2002 as a quality improvement initiative reviewing intensive care practice in Malaysia and introduce remedial measures to improve outcome.
- Establish a database of patients admitted to the adult ICU
- Review the clinical practice of intensive care and determine the outcomes
- Determine the resources and delivery of intensive care service
- Evaluate the impact of quality improvement measures on patient care
- Conduct healthcare research related to intensive care.